This Thanksgiving could be the year that you wow all your house, apartment, or dorm guests with the most creative and festive decor. They’ll wonder where you bought it all, and you can tell them you did it yourself! We have plenty of DIY project ideas you can do this November as we get ready to celebrate all the things we’re thankful for. Creativity is truly a gift to be thankful for, so put it to use with the best DIY Thanksgiving decoration and craft ideas.
DIY Fall Wreath
Create a fall wreath that will impress anyone who comes to your front door on Thanksgiving. Fall wreaths are easy to create, and you can customize them to your own aesthetic. The color scheme, materials, and style are all up to you. To create a wreath like the one pictured above, you will need the following:
- Grapevine wreath
- Artificial leaves in fall colors
- Decorative accents of your choice (for example, small, plastic pumpkins or gourds)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Wire cutters
- If your leaves came attached in bunches, cut the stems apart, leaving enough length on the stems to be tucked into the grapevine wreath.
- Place the leaves where you’d like them on the grapevine wreath and stick the stems into the wreath base. You can spread the leaves out equally around the wreath, or concentrate them more heavily near the bottom of the wreath.
- Secure each leaf with a dot of hot glue on the stem.
- Place additional decorative accents and secure with a dot of hot glue.
- Add more hot glue to any areas that need to be secured.
- Let the glue dry fully, then hang your wreath on the door using a wreath hook.
DIY Gourd Flowerpot Centerpieces
Thanksgiving gourd decorations, Photo by Martin Cathrae via Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0
These adorable gourd centerpieces will add life to your Thanksgiving table setting. Use Styrofoam gourds and artificial flowers to create reusable centerpieces you can display every Thanksgiving. To create these with reusable materials, you’ll need the following:
- Styrofoam gourds
- Artificial flowers
- Green Styrofoam block
- X-Acto carving tool
- X-Acto knife
- Wire cutters
- Carve out a sphere from the center of the Styrofoam gourd using the X-Acto carving tool. Don’t cut all the way through the gourd; the hole left behind where you removed the sphere should be only one to two inches deep.
- Use the X-Acto knife carefully to cut the green Styrofoam block down to a size that will fit inside the spherical hole you’ve created in the gourd. You can find pre-shaped and sized foam blocks at your local craft store.
- Cut the stems of the flowers to an appropriate size, then arrange them by sticking the stems into the green Styrofoam block.
- Place the green Styrofoam block, with the flowers now attached, into the gourd.
- Repeat these steps for as many gourds as you would like, then arrange them nicely on your table.
Turkey cupcake tutorial, Photo by Kgroovy via Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0
You can make these adorable turkey cupcakes for Thanksgiving dinner at your house or apartment, or be the favorite guest and bring them to whomever you spend the holiday with. The turkeys are made out of Nutter Butters and have chocolate chips for eyes! These cupcakes are featured on the cooking blog, CakeSpy. Find the list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions in this turkey cupcake tutorial to make 24 Thanksgiving-themed cupcakes.
Build a Friendly Scarecrow
Not all scarecrows need to look scary! You can create a friendly scarecrow with just a few supplies. This scarecrow will make a festive addition to your doorstep or holiday party.
- A large button-up shirt
- A pair of jeans
- A hat and bandana
- A white pillowcase
- Styrofoam ball
- Permanent markers (black and orange)
- A long piece of wood or long stick
- A chair to seat your scarecrow in
- Fill the button-up shirt with hay. Tie off the sleeves and bottom of the shirt with a piece of twine so the hay doesn’t fall out.
- Fill the jeans with hay. Tie off each leg hole with a piece of twine.
- Tuck the shirt into the jeans, and seat the body of your scarecrow into the chair. You can use twine to secure the pants to the chair by tying a piece of twine through a belt loop and around the back of the chair.
- Stick the Styrofoam ball onto one end of the long piece of wood or stick. The wood or stick should be able to pierce the Styrofoam.
- Place the pillowcase over the Styrofoam ball. If you want the head to be larger, add some hay around the ball to fluff it up. Tie the excess fabric of the pillowcase with a piece of twine.
- Draw eyes, a nose, and a mouth onto the pillowcase to create your scarecrow’s face.
- Stick the other end of the stick down the back of your scarecrow’s shirt.
- Tie a bandana around the neck of your scarecrow.
- Top your scarecrow with a hat and let the neighbors get a look at your creative Thanksgiving craft!
Thanksgiving Pinterest Crafts
Pinterest is the ultimate crafting resource. There are tons of boards dedicated to Thanksgiving decorations and crafts. Here are a few of our favorites that you should check out:
Creative DIY craft and decorating ideas for a traditional Thanksgiving.
Chic designer ideas for trendy, fresh Thanksgiving decor.
Whimsical craft ideas for a fun and lighthearted Thanksgiving celebration.
We hope you’ve found some inspiration from our DIY Thanksgiving decoration and craft ideas! Whether you go all out and try every single idea or try just one, we’re grateful to have creative people around like you who make the holidays so much fun. Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Questions or Ready to Schedule a Tour?
180 Avenida La Pata, 2nd Floor, San Clemente, CA 92673